Pennsylvania is one of the four jurisdictions in the United States with legal online casino gaming, the others being New Jersey, Michigan, and West Virginia.
Can I Play Casino Games Online In Pennsylvania?
Yes, online casino gaming is now live in Pennsylvania. You have a dozen options at your disposal, all featuring a variety of slots and table games.
Do I Have to be a Resident of PA to Gamble Online?
No, you need not be a resident of Pennsylvania to participate in online gambling there. But, in line with the regulatory requirements, all online casino players in Pennsylvania need to be within state lines.
What Is the Legal Gambling Age in PA?
Only players aged 21 years or older can take part in Pennsylvania online gambling.
Why Should I Join a Pennsylvania Online Casino Site?
When you join Pennsylvania online casino sites, you are guaranteed a safe gambling experience. Your deposits, winnings, and personal information are stored with the greatest care. You can also rest easy knowing that the casino you are in has player-help tools you can call upon if the need arises.
Besides safety, you have plenty of other reasons to join online gambling sites in Pennsylvania. Third-party service providers only work with regulated sites, so by signing up to a legit site in Pennsylvania, you automatically gain access to the best games, payment options, loyalty rewards, and more.
Here is a snapshot of what it means to play on legit Pennsylvania gambling sites:
- Access to quality payment methods.
- Expert customer support.
- A large number of gaming options.
- Legal online gambling sites are safe.
- Regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.
- Generous welcome bonuses are usually offered.
Why Avoid Offshore Casinos
All the benefits listed above are not available when you play on offshore sites, as they are not regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. If anything goes wrong while you are playing on offshore sites like Bovada, you are on your own.
Offshore sites are also notorious for delaying payouts, and in some cases failing to pay entirely. You can also expect a limited number of gaming options. Our team of casino experts has, on some occasions, even found knock-offs on these sites. The list goes on.
Cons to playing in offshore sites
- Payouts are not guaranteed.
- Limited game selection.
- Not regulated by the PGCB.
- Offshore sites are not safe.
PA Online Casinos
Pennsylvania is host to a dozen online casino gaming platforms, and more are expected to come on board soon.
Hollywood Casino was the first online casino to launch in Pennsylvania on July 15, 2019. This site is the result of a partnership between Penn National Gaming and IGT. Players will be impressed by the game selection here, as Hollywood Casino features over 80 slot machine titles. Top picks to look out for include Wheel of Fortune, DaVinci Diamonds, and Jumanji.
Parx also launched on July15, 2019, following Hollywood Casino as the state’s second online casino. Players at Parx can enjoy one of the most expansive slots collections in Pennsylvania, which features over 100 titles including favorites such as Cleopatra, Crown Egypt, and Wolf Run. The site also has a decent selection of table games.
PlayLive! Casino is the online arm of Live! Hotel and Casino. Launched in August 2020, this app is owned by the Cordish Gaming Group. It is a relatively new player in online gaming, but it still puts together a decent proposition. The slots complement is impressive, but PlayLive! Casino also provides video poker and table gaming options. It runs on the GAN platform, just like Parx Casino.
To find legal inroads into Pennsylvania, BetMGM partnered with the Hollywood Casino and opened its doors to players in December 2020. This app is owned by ROAR Digital, which is a partnership between MGM Resorts and GVC Holdings. BetMGM provides quite a number of interesting gaming options and has more than 80 slots in the lobby, all coming from trusted suppliers like NetEnt, IGT, and Konami.
BetRivers is an ideal online casino app if you are on Android. There are no iOS native options here, but players can still access the casino using the web browser app. Launched in January 2020, BetRivers is operated by Rush Street Interactive. This site boasts of more than 50 slot machine games, including the famous progressive slot Divine Fortune. You will also find many variants of blackjack, roulette, and baccarat hosted here.
Borgata was launched in February 2021 and is a joint venture between MGM Grand and its land-based partner, Rivers Casino. If the aesthetic looks familiar, it’s because Borgata is a sister site to BetMGM. Players here can enjoy over 150 titles, the bulk of which are exciting slot machine games.
In line with state regulations, Harrah’s Casino partnered with Caesars Interactive Entertainment to produce Caesars Casino in Pennsylvania in April 2020. This is still a relatively small player with fewer than 50 games running on the NYX platform as well as a small selection of table games. If you are into slot machine games, we suggest you give Mad Mad Monkey and 88 Fortunes a try.
One of the biggest online gambling apps in the United States, DraftKings brought its online casino complement to Pennsylvania in July 2020. While DK was relatively late to the party in PA, it has already attracted a fair share of the local market thanks to its slick app and firm commitment to customer satisfaction.
TwinSpires casino is owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated, and was launched online in the summer of 2019 in Pennsylvania. Its land-based partner there is Presque Isle Downs and Casino. TwinSpires displays a well-designed app and also carries a good selection of casino games. As you might expect, slots take up the largest space in the lobby, but you can still enjoy blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and video poker here.
Unibet Casino came into Pennsylvania through a partnership with the Mohegan Sun Casino in November 2019. One of the leaders of the European gambling market, Unibet has made a strong impression in the US with its numerous casino games. Along with the 80+ slots offered there, Jackpot Shores and Divine Fortune are definitely worth a look.
Some more online casinos you will find in Pennsylvania include:
- Wind Creek
- FOX Bet
- Stardust Casino
What is the Best Online Casino in PA?
In our opinion, BetMGM is Pennsylvania’s best online casino at the moment. It offers players an impressive number and variety of games, includes the standard payment options, and can be enjoyed using Android and iOS native apps. You even have access to mobile-only promotions.
How Do I Join a Pennsylvania Online Casino?
To take part in any online casino in Pennsylvania, you need to open an account. The entire process is straightforward, but we have listed the steps you should take below:
- Read our expert reviews and find a casino you would like to join.
- Click on ‘Get Bonus’ and you will be instantly transferred to the casino’s registration page. Using our links applies the welcome bonus automatically when you open your account, but you can also search for the casino name by yourself in your browser.
- When you land on the registration page, enter your details as required. This includes your name, email address, date of birth, physical address, and the last four digits of your social security number.
- The casino may also require you to answer a pair of security questions. This is important as you will need these when retrieving your account if you lose your password.
- Go through the terms and conditions, and click ‘Submit.’ If the registration goes through successfully, you will receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click ‘Deposit’ and add funds to your account. If you are claiming a deposit match bonus, make sure your initial transaction is equal to or more than the requirement.
How to Download a PA Casino App
Some online gambling sites in Pennsylvania have Android and iOS native apps. You can add these to your device by following the simple processes outlined below.
iOS casino apps are hosted on the App Store. So, on the site:
- Find the app store link. This will transfer you to the app download page directly.
- You do not need to visit the casino homepage to do this. You can just open the App Store on your iOS device and search the casino name from there.
- Follow the easy prompts to install the app.
Google Play doesn’t host real money gambling apps, so you’ll need to get your desired casino app directly from the site.
- Head over to the casino in your mobile browser.
- Search around and click on the ‘Download for Android’ link.
- Download the app onto your device. You may see notifications that you are about to download an unsafe app. This is expected, as all unknown apps are classified as unsafe on Android. Just give the required permissions and wait for the download to complete.
- Authorize installation of unknown apps in your device settings.
- Install the app onto your device by following the easy prompts.
Online casinos in Pennsylvania typically give new players PA bonuses to entice them to register. Below, we have highlighted some of the most common bonuses you will find in Pennsylvania online gambling sites.
You get the first-deposit offer when you fund your account for the first time. This is usually as a deposit match bonus, which matches your transaction with bonus credit from the casino.
The no-deposit offer is highly coveted, as you do not need to make an initial investment to receive it. Simply completing registration at an online casino will earn you this bonus. Naturally, this type of offer is rare and hard to come by.
The risk-free play bonus is one of the easiest ways to get started in an online casino. With this offer, you are essentially playing for free initially. All net losses you incur in a specified period are returned to your account as bonus funds.
How To Fund My PA Casino Account
As we highlighted earlier, one of the perks of signing up for regulated sites in Pennsylvania is that you have access to the best payment methods. As such, deposits and withdrawals are a breeze. Let’s look at the deposit process first.
Depositing is one of the first actions you will do in a casino after registering a new account. It is a simple process for newbies and regulars alike. Follow the steps listed below to add funds to your account:
- In the cashier section of the online casino app, select ‘Deposit’ or ‘Add funds.’
- Select your preferred deposit method.
- Input the amount you wish to deposit.
- If you are using third-party payment methods like PayPal and other popular e-wallets, enter your password when requested to confirm the process.
- Watch out for a ‘Transaction successful’ message and check if your funds have been added to your account.
- The site will also send an email confirmation for your records.
Taking money out of your account is just as straightforward. Though the methods at your disposal are less than what you have for deposits, you will still have plenty of options to use.
- In the cashier section of your account, locate the ‘Withdraw’ button.
- Select the payment method you want to use for withdrawals.
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw. Withdrawals using e-wallets like PayPal will require that you input your password to complete the transaction.
- Your account balance will reflect the withdrawal. Look out for an email confirmation for your records.
Regulated online gambling sites in Pennsylvania have a plethora of payment options. These are reliable and are the safest way to move your money around. You will get options fit for every type of player, from small-budget novices to fat-wallet high rollers.
Players in online gambling sites in Pennsylvania are guaranteed a large number of payment methods when depositing. We list the common ones below:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
- Cash at the Casino Cage
Withdrawal options are also plentiful, although there are fewer compared to deposit options. You won’t struggle to find options that suit you, however. Here is a list of what’s available.
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
PA Casino Games
The whole point of visiting an online casino is to enjoy the games. In Pennsylvania online casinos, you can play slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, video poker, and much more.
Slots are extremely easy to play and require no special skills. These games are also cheap, with many featuring very reasonable minimum wager requirements. They have massive payout potential too, as many players have taken home millions of dollars from the jackpot and progressive slots in Pennsylvania, you’ll find those on all online gambling sites. Our favorite games in this category include:
- Divine Fortune
- Wheel of Fortune
- 88 Fortunes
- Mercy of the Gods
- Jackpot Shores
Table games are usually less prevalent than slots in the lobby but still provide tons of fun. There are many variations of table games that you can try out in Pennsylvania online casinos. These are a welcome change from slots, as some table games have an element of skill and strategy involved. Below is a run-through of some of the most common table games you will find here:
The goal in blackjack is to get a number higher than the dealer without going over 21. This is an entertaining card game where you can nurture your skills and increase your odds of winning.
Roulette is a simple table game to play and requires no special skills to start. The objective here is to successfully guess where the white ball will end up when you take a spin. To start in roulette, you only need to familiarize yourself with the betting table and the options available to you.
In craps, you are trying to guess the numbers that will come up when the dice roll. This game is a popular pick with most players because it is fast-paced and highly engaging. You can also make a wide range of bets on it.
Baccarat is available in many online casinos in Pennsylvania. In this game, you win when you can guess who will get as close to 9 as possible between the player and the banker. Baccarat is exciting in that you can bet on either side. Read more about how to play baccarat here.
Poker is a popular card game with many players in the United States, and Pennsylvania is no different. In video poker, you are trying to build a hand that is better than the dealer. To get started in this game, a clear understanding of the card values is key. Here are the most common variants of poker you will find in Pennsylvania online casinos:
- No Limit Texas Hold’em
- Seven Card Stud
- Seven Card Stud High/Low
- Pot Limit Omaha
- Pot Limit Omaha High/Low
Bingo is a number-matching game that you will find in some online casinos in Pennsylvania. It is an easy game to understand, which is why many players enjoy it. This is a pure game of chance in which winning comes down to raw luck.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games are available in DraftKings, Hollywood Casino, and BetRivers. These give you the most authentic online gaming experience as you are playing with real-life dealers. The most common live dealer games in online gambling sites in Pennsylvania are blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and poker. Here is a list of some variants of these games you will find online:
- Baccarat Live
- Poker Live
- Infinite Blackjack
Here are the land-based online casinos available in Pennsylvania.
- Meadows Casino
- Lady Luck Casino
- Mohegan Sun Casino
- Harrah’s Philadelphia
- Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course
- Parx Casino
- Mount Airy Casino
- Valley Forge Casino
- Wind Creek Casino and Resort
- Presque Isle Downs Casino
- Rivers Casino Philadelphia
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh
- Live! Casino Philadelphia
- Live! Casino Pittsburgh
Responsible Gaming & Self-Exclusion
Online gambling, if done properly, can be an enjoyable pastime. It is up to the player to ensure that this activity does not affect you and those around you in a negative way.
The first rule of online gambling is that you should never wager more than you are willing to lose. Online casino sites in Pennsylvania allow you to set limits on how much you deposit, wager, and even the amount of time you spend online. You should make use of these tools and stick to your overall gambling plan.
If you feel that your gambling is out of control, you can also make use of self-exclusion. This feature allows you to step back from gambling activity, either temporarily or permanently, and assess if it’s still for you. Friendly customer support agents are available to help you if you feel that your gambling behavior is leading you down the wrong path. There are also third-party organizations ready to assist players suffering from gambling addiction.
Can I Bet Sports Online in PA?
Yes, online sports betting is legal in Pennsylvania and can be accessed through the sportsbooks of some of the sites mentioned above, including BetMGM, BetRivers, FanDuel, and more.
When Did PA Online Casinos Become Legal?
Governor Tom Wolfe signed HB 271 in 2017. This act made way for online casino gaming in Pennsylvania, with the first site opening its doors in July 2019.
Pennsylvania Online Gambling Timeline
- 2019: First online casino opens in Pennsylvania.
- 2017: On October 30, 2017, Gov. Tom Wolf signs HB 271 into law in October, legalizing online gambling in Pennsylvania.
- 2010: Law authorizing table games at Pennsylvania racinos passed.
- 2004: Horse racing bill amended, paving way for the use of slot machines at existing and new sites in the Keystone State.
- 1994: Massive support for legalization of riverboat gambling unearthed by a state-wide survey.