Michigan legalized online gambling in December 2019, with the first online casinos launching in the state in January 2021. Numerous casinos have opened throughout the first year, giving Michigan residents plenty of options to choose from.
Can I Play Casino Games Online In Michigan?
Yes, as long as you are 21 years of age and physically present in Michigan, you are able to play casino games online using any online gambling sites in MI.
Do I Have to be a Resident of MI to Gamble Online?
No, you don’t have to be a resident of Michigan to use Michigan casino apps, you can read more about Michigan casino apps here. However, you must be present in Michigan when looking to use Michigan mobile casinos.
What Is the Legal Gambling Age in MI?
The legal gambling age is 21 in Michigan. Therefore, those who are under the age of 21 are unable to use Michigan gambling sites.
Why Should I Join a Michigan Online Casino Site?
Instead of having to leave your house and travel to a casino, you have the casino right at your fingertips.
- Online casinos are the most convenient way to gamble from any location, as you can use your computer or phone.
- Michigan has a plethora of legal and regulated online casinos that you can access at any time. These have plenty of safe payment options to use and are much safer than using an offshore casino.
- None of the games are rigged on these legal online casino sites, unlike some of the offshore sites.
- Because of competition, each site offers different promotions and bonuses to entice you to join and keep you loyal to their site, giving you lots of opportunities to earn free money.
- With so many different online casinos, you’re also able to compare games, VIP rewards, customer service, and other categories that mean the most to you. This way, when you’ve used up all your bonuses on each online casino site, you can determine which online casino suits you the most.
Why to Avoid Offshore Casinos
- Offshore online casinos are not regulated by the US.
- There’s potential for rigged outcomes in offshore online casinos.
- Offshore betting is not legal for the sites themselves and you don’t want to be involved. (As a bettor, you’re fine and can’t get in trouble, but you’re helping the cause of those who are illegally producing business.)
- You technically aren’t allowed to deposit or withdraw money from these sites. This is why sites like to use cryptocurrency because it’s anonymous.
- Offshore sites are not safe and you will see plenty of suspicious activity when it comes to these sites.
- There’s also fewer games and options compared to legal online casinos.
MI Online Casinos
Golden Nugget Casino
Golden Nugget has a partnership with Ojibwa Casino and offers an IOS and Android app to play on a mobile device. Many would say that Golden Nugget is the gold standard for online casinos with all of its bonuses and promotions. They’re also known for their slot depth and variety when it comes to games and offer plenty of reliable banking options.
FanDuel has a partnership with MotorCity Casino Hotel, which enables players with MotorCity Metro Club accounts to link their accounts to the FanDuel Players Club to bring in more benefits on FanDuel. FanDuel offers risk-free slots for an hour every Wednesday and has an exciting amount of slot games along with blackjack, roulette, and baccarat. You’ll find live dealer games on FanDuel as well.
MGM launched their sports betting app at MGM Grand Detroit and with that came BetMGM casino, poker, and bingo. MGM is simply one of the best casinos in the state as you’ll find all kinds of table games and live dealers, with more games being added all the time. They are also known for featuring the highest progressive slot jackpot in Michigan.
DraftKings was mainly a sports betting site but has recently turned some heads with their online gambling. They became a licensed partner of Bay Mills Resort & Casino and while they don’t have the best selection of games, they’re a well-known brand with good promotions and an interface that’s easy to navigate. Just like the other sites above, DraftKings also offers live dealers in blackjack, baccarat, and roulette.
WynnBet offers over 150 games and allows users to use the same sports betting account as their casino account. Like the sites above, WynnBet offers plenty of digital and live dealer games and occasionally offers free spins to new customers. The casino is basically an add-on to their sportsbook but does have a nice app.
BetRivers gives one of the best promotions in the state which makes them worth checking out. They’ll give many jackpot prizes and have a large selection of games. You can also find tons of slots and table games here, so if you’re into slots then BetRivers is the place for you.
Caesars, formally known as William Hill, has taken off with tons of promotions and a slick interface since the rebrand. Most of these sites have loyalty programs to some degree, but there’s not many like Caesars Rewards. Those who are eligible get exclusive bonuses and promotions, so if you’re an online gambler, stay active on Caesars and you’ll be recognized!
PointsBet Casino came to Michigan on May 4, 2021. The online gabmling site has previously made a name for themselves in other states and is under the license of Northern Waters Casino Resort. They’re one of the more respected brands in the industry.
TwinSpires has over 400 games with progressive slots where you can win over $1 million jackpots. The Michigan online gambling app has given out plenty of big winners and published one of their customers winning $242,600 on one of their slot games. They also give out a solid welcome bonus to new players and even allow their customers to play digital games for free on practice mode before diving into real-money action.
The Stars Group is in charge of FOX Bet Sportsbook, PokerStars, and Stars Casino. They’ve got popular games and a wide variety like all of the other online gambling casinos in Michigan above.
Four other online casinos in Michigan are listed below:
- Barstool Casino
- Four Winds Casino
- Gun Lake Casino
- FireKeepers Casino
What is the Best Online Casino in MI?
Golden Nugget is the best online casino in Michigan. For new users, the casino gives up to a $1,000 deposit match and 200 free spins. They offer lots of promotions and bonuses in Michigan for new and existing customers alike.
Golden Nugget Michigan has a ton of variety, while their site and mobile app work very well. There are over 200 slots and plenty of live dealer games and table games. For anything you could ever want in an online casino, Golden Nugget has you covered.
How Do I Join a Michigan Online Casino?
There are so many options in Michigan when it comes to online casinos, so you’re going to need to understand how to join them and start bringing in some bonus cash. Here’s a step-by-step process on how to do just that.
- After picking the online casino you’d like to try, select our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- Register by providing your necessary personal information.
- If you found the site on your own, this is where you can plug in one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Make sure to agree to all terms of service and hit submit. Once you do this, it’ll complete the process and trigger your bonus on the online casino.
- You will receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click “Deposit” and choose a banking method that suits you best.
- Deposit into your new account. If the site is giving out a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
- Enjoy the casino!
How to Download a MI Casino App
If you’re looking to download an online casino app on your mobile phone, follow these steps below:
- Search for the app that you want to download.
- Click the “Get” button.
- Once the app is downloaded, select the icon and open the app.
- Open Google Play.
- Go to the Play Store app
- Find an app you want.
- Tap Install
- Find the installed app and open the app.
As mentioned above, there are numerous online casinos in Michigan that are legal and regulated. These sites are competing against one another for your business, which is why they’ll try to entice you with promotions and bonuses.
A first-deposit offer is when online casinos offer big bonuses to new users when they make their first deposit. Many sites offer a 100 percent deposit match of up to $1,000 for new customers, meaning the player will have an extra $1,000 ($2,000 total) to play with. However, the $1000 bonus would need to be played at least one time through before you can withdraw it.
A no-deposit offer is given just for opening an account to help the customer get started. Don’t expect $1,000 to be in your account, but some sites will provide $10 or so depending on the online casino.
This isn’t offered by many sites, but BetFair is one that comes to mind. New players who make their first deposit on the site receive a risk-free day to play on, which reimburses a set amount of net losses when the day concludes.
How To Fund My MI Casino Account
Funding your account is easy. Just click deposit, select the method you’re most comfortable using, and add money into the account. Once that process is done, money will be in your account and waiting to be used.
Whether this is your first time or you’re an expert, depositing into online gambling sites is simple. Here’s a rundown of how to add money to your account.
- Click “Deposit” or “Add Funds” depending on which site you are using.
- Choose the banking method that you’re most comfortable using.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit onto the online gambling site.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to enter your password to confirm the process.
- Once the site verifies the process is complete, the money will be in your account.
- Don’t forget to check your email for further confirmation from the casino.
If you figured out how to deposit money, you’ll figure out how to withdraw money too, as it’s basically the same process.
- Find the withdrawal option on the casino app or site.
- Choose the method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- Remember, if you’re using eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
- The process can take up to 72 hours for a withdrawal to be approved depending on the site and method chosen.
All of these online casinos are legal and regulated, leaving Michigan customers with plenty of reliable and safe options when gambling. Accordingly, you’ll find many different payment options that can be used to deposit and withdraw money.
There’s a deposit method for everyone. Here’s a concrete list of the most popular options when it comes to depositing money into online casino accounts:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Just like deposit options, there are many withdrawal options at online casinos. To find which one best suits you, here’s a list of the most popular options at online casinos:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
MI Casino Games
Online casinos in Michigan can be played with real money using a reliable, regulated, and legal site. Even though you’re playing online, you can be sure that these online casinos do not rig their games.
There are plenty of options when it comes to casino games as well. Here’s what you will find on most of the online casinos in Michigan:
Slots are typically way faster and easier to play than normal table games, which enables users to win money quickly thanks to jackpots and progressives.
Some of the most popular slots in Michigan include but are not limited to:
- Divine Fortune
- Wheeler of Fortune
- BetMGM Grand Millions (Only at BetMGM)
- Loot’en Khamun & The Dead Sea Scrolls
- Mango Madness
- Book of Myths
They say the “real” online gamblers are table game players. These types of games are more strategic and require “smart” bettors who have to think between each hand or spin.
The goal in blackjack is to beat the dealer without going over 21. You are paid 1/1 for beating the dealer and 3/2 if you get blackjack (which is 21) using the first two cards dealt to you.
Roulette is easy to learn, so if you’re new to table games, this might be the best game for you. The game features numbers from 0-36 and gamblers bet on which number the ball will land on as the wheel spins. The game has a house edge of 5.26 percent, which is way higher than blackjack.
This is an exciting game for gamblers. The game is played with two dice and there are plenty of different outcomes and wagers that can be made. You’re able to choose your stake when the dice is being rolled and you don’t need to fight for space on an online board like you would at an in-person casino.
This is another dealer game. Each player is given two cards, and whoever gets the closest to 9 wins. 10’s and picture cards are worth 0. You can place a bet on who you think will win between the player and the dealer, and you can even bet a tie!
Video poker is a casino game that you can play online where you draw five cards. It’s computerized using a 52-card deck. Once you make a wager, you’ll be dealt five cards looking for different outcomes.
The outcomes you’ll be looking for are:
- Royal Flush
- Straight Flush
- Four of a Kind
- Full House
- Three of a Kind
- Two Pair
- Jacks or Better
You are then given a chance to keep your cards or swap your cards for a new card(s) once more. If you achieve any of the outcomes above, you will win the most money with a royal flush. Read more about online poker in Michigan here.
This is a classic game of 90 ball bingo where you can win real money if you create a line of five numbers that are called out.
Live Dealer Games
Live Dealer games simulate the experience of being at an in-person casino. The entire process is the same, except it happens on your mobile device rather than on the casino floor.
Live Dealer games include:
- Infinite Blackjack
- Golden Nugget Casino
- FanDuel Casino
- BetMGM Casino
- DraftKings Casino
- BetRivers Casino
- Caesars Michigan
- PointsBet Casino
- Stars Casino
- Four Winds Casino
- FireKeepers Casino
Responsible Gaming & Self-Exclusion
There are statewide self-exclusion programs for those who need or want to step away from a potential addiction to gambling. You can self-impose wagering limits and give yourself a cooling period where you are not allowed to use the site during the time frame.
Michigan has a Disassociated Persons Program that handles self-exclusion for the state. The Michigan Gaming Control Board runs the program along with Detroit commercial casinos.
Compared to other states, their procedures are a bit bland but because they’re new to the scene, we’ll give them a bit of a pass for now. If you’re looking to be added to the self-exclusion list and want to schedule an appointment, please call (888) 223-3044 or (313) 456-4100.
Can I Bet Sports Online in MI?
Yes, you are able to bet on sports online in Michigan. Most of the sites listed above also have sports betting sites. Be sure to check those out as well if you’re interested in sports betting.
When Did Michigan Online Casinos Become Legal?
On December 20, 2019, Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed a gambling expansion package to legalize online casino gambling that also included online sports betting.
Michigan Online Gambling Timeline
- In 2016, Michigan introduced a bill for internet casino gambling that allowed for online betting revenues to be taxed 10 percent with operators having to pay a $5 million licensing fee. The Senate didn’t go for it, however.
- By 2017, there was some optimism when Senator Mike Kowall was set to retire from his position in 2018. He had previously been in charge of online betting.
- Governor Rick Snyder vetoed the legislation in 2018 because he thought passing a bill like this would impact the iLottery and Michigan’s School Aid Fund.
- December 20, 2019: HB 4311 was signed and passed by Governor Gretchen Whitmer, who took over for Rick Snyder in 2019 as governor of Michigan.
- In 2021, customers can use a wide variety of different online casinos and sportsbooks behind plenty of reliable, regulated, and legal companies.